Its OCTOBER. I know, at this point, October is on its way out and November is creeping up the horizon, but we’re a busy family.
Along with having Izzy in Halloween themed outfits all month long so far, I have so seriously jumped on the bandwagon that is Pumpkin Spice. Call me a basic white girl. I don’t care.
This bread is Izzy approved, and if wrapped in tinfoil and stored in the fridge lasts for up to 7 days. Not that is ever lasts that long in our house. Most food doesn’t last very long in our house.
This recipe is a quick bread recipe, similar to my banana bread recipe, but it really kicks it up a notch in the spice department. The ginger and allspice combined with the cinnamon and nutmeg make it a fall explosion with each bite.
Start your oven up to 350 F and get your bread pan greased up. Gather two good size bowls, and get ready to get your two mixes going.
In the first bowl, Combine your flours, wheat gluten, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda. Mix this until thoroughly incorporated.
In your second bowl, whip together your butter and sugar. Add your eggs, one at a time and then when that is well mixed, gently fold in the ENTIRE can of pumpkin puree.
Next steps pretty simple, but requires some muscle- this bread is thick. Dump all of the liquid mix into the dry mix and fold gently, or wind up with flour in your face.
Spoon the mix into your greased pan, throw it into the oven and bake like that for about 45 minutes. At that point, you’ll have to tent it with tinfoil to cook for an additional 15 minutes or so until done.
Once you take it out of the oven, let it cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Then get it out of the pan and onto a cooling rack for the rest of its cooling time.
Or really, just slice into and devour it in all its harvest spicey gloryness.
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp wheat gluten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 can Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 cup melted butter or oil
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- Set your oven to 350 F and grease a bread pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together both of your flours, wheat gluten, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. Create a well in the center.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk your melted butter and sugar together.
- Next whisk in your eggs, one at a time.
- Now, whisk in the entire can of pumpkin puree- mix very well
- Switch to your rubber spatula and fold your wet mix into your dry mix, very gently.
- Scrap the mixture into greased bread pan. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or so.
- Take bread out of over, tent with tinfoil and bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean of crumbs.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes-ish and then allow bread to cool the rest of the way on a rack.
Well, that is that in a pumpkin shell.
We have a lot going on or else I’d try and type something cute. But until the next time this will just have to do- Have a wicked good night.