So last we left off, Things were getting real…
We were tasked with digging out two more spots, so we could place jacks, and removing the entire bathroom floor. In 4 days. That we technically only had our lunch breaks and evenings to work.
So the first day, MrGillis did some digging on his own- But largely, we would come home on our lunch breaks, eat a quick sandwich, run into the shed and dig for the rest of the hour. Then the evenings of thursday and friday, after izzy had gone to bed, we’d grab the monitor, head out the shed and demo the bathroom floor. This was awful, in so many varied ways, I find it best to just do a photo montage.
Yeah, I’m not going to lie, the rot, the water damage, the mold, the crazy illegal and dangerous electrical we found UNDER THE FLOOR in insulation, the leak coming in from under the shed front sill…. its all pretty horrifying in person. We, honestly, expected it to be bad, but we were pulling chunks of wood off by hand, because it was just rotted thru. We were able to just kind of pick up pieces of flooring and go. Don’t get me wrong, there was plenty of sawing, and taking out screws and nails, but we really just manhandled most of it out and into the loader bucket.
Friday night, we fell into bed, exhausted, but excited about the following day
Saturday arrives and mrgillis heads out the shed to get as much as he can get done… and we find out we’re waiting until sunday for our handy guy- you know, life comes up.
Ok. Well the upside is we got a lot done in a few days. And mrgillis spent the morning doing some more work on his own… including running strings and seeing that the house was about 3.5 inches uneven….. in mrgillis speak, which is slightly more technical that means that in a ten foot span, the middle of the house drops 3.5 inches lower then the side.
So sunday dawns, and all of a sudden we have a very sick toddler on our hands.
So the entire day, mrgillis and the handyguy worked at all of this:
In words, instead of photo montage, one sill is completely rotten. Wanna see a hysterically depressing 5 second video of our handyguy ripping it out with his bare hands? Head on over to our instagram.
So they finished ripping out the bathroom floor joists, replaced the support beam, replaced the rotten outside sill, started jacking (to the point where our door doesn’t latch, we have to padlock that sucker now), and lastly, right at 5 of 5pm, scraped the line from our oil tank to our heater. It was only a pinhole, BUT that kind of thing needs immediate fixing. So they got to put in almost another hour, getting together a whole different set of tools, cutting and re-flaring the line.
Meanwhile, I hung out with izzy trying to coax her to eat stomach settlers(crackers, banana, toast, etc), and drink enough liquids to stay hydrated thru a viscous stomach bug. Which then turned around and smacked mrgillis and I straight into the ground for monday. We both could literally do nothing.
It is now wednesday and we’ve all fully recovered. Thankfully, we’ve faced worse then a flubug, but it was pretty awful. Mrgillis ended up going to the ER for IV Fluid because he was so dehydrated. Luckily I have an iron stomach and a constitution of an angry bee, because nothing seems to keep me down for very long.
Well, that brings us up to speed, I’d say. Now I’ve got laundry to fold and dishes to do before work so, hang tough kids.
Until next time, have a wicked good day!