Thursday afternoon I walked into a very messy barn housing some very happy looking alpacas.
This is a becoming an expensive mess.
So being the DIY problem solver that I am, I made a quasi-slow feeder hay cage Saturday morning.
The deal with it is simple. I took two pieces of similar sized welded wire fence, linked them together to form two walls and viola! All I used was a pair of needle nose pliers and I made sure all the wire ends were super secure and not going to gouge anyone in the snout or eye.
At the end, I folded the excess over and created a bit of a shelf to keep them from getting hay from the top so easily as well.
It’s not connected to the walls at all, only took 30 minutes to make and install and is already saving us a ton of hay. Also look how clean the rest of the floor is!
I recommend at least doing something similar to this with your grazing animals. Even if you have to suffer thru the looks of abject disappointment and pity me howdareyou.
Until next time, have a wicked good day!
10/23/2017 Update : They broke it.
And a DIY slow feeder cage isn’t worth trying to save 12 bucks, and causing an eye injury- or worse. So this is the bag we bought and we are very happy with it.
I can fit almost a whole bale in and I can either tie it to the railing or hook it up on the wall. The holes are pretty small so that have to work at it. We’ve only had it a week so we’ll see what happens.
We do not receive any money if you buy the bag thru that link, just know we like it enough to recommend it for now.
Until next time, have a wicked good day.